Llanvair Discoed / Llanfair Isgoed

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

LLANVAIR-DISCOED and DINHAM is a parish 6½ miles west-by-south from Chepstow railway station and 4½ north-east from Magor station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, Caldicot hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of Netherwent (middle division), archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The village of Llanvair-Discoed is on the road from Caerwent to Usk, at the foot of a lofty eminence, known as "Mynydd Llwyd", or Grey Hill, from the top of which a magnificent prospect is obtained: on this hill are some vestiges of an ancient stone circle. The Nedden brook flows through the parish. The church of St. Mary, a building of stone in the Early English style, appears to have been rebuilt, according to an inscription formerly over the south door, in 1746, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western bell turret containing one bell: the church was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1883, the chancel at the expense of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and in 1885 the late Col. Kemeys-Tynte gave an addition to the yard and built a fence wall surrounding it: there are 110 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1681; marriages, 1680. The living has been annexed to Caerwent since 1885, average tithe rent-charge £224, gross joint yearly value in 1891 £221, net £165, with 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Thomas Davies Jones, of Magdalen Hall, Oxford, who resides at Caerwent.

On an eminence close by the church are the ruins of the ancient castle, which appears to have been erected in the earlier part of the 13th century by the noble family of Fitz-Pain, possibly on the site of an older building: the castle was subsequently held by the De Monthermers, and passed from them by marriage to the Montacutes, and afterwards descended to the noble families of Nevile and Pole: having reverted to the Crown in the time of James I. the castle was granted in 1610 to Thomas Woodward, who conveyed it to Rhys Kemeys, ancestor of the present owner, Capt. Kemeys-Tynte: two large round towers, some part of the keep and a small portion of the curtain walls remain. The Court House (now a farmhouse, occupied by Mrs. C. Pritchard) is an old building, having an inscription in Welsh above the doorway, signifying, "It is better to write the name of the Most High on stone than with ink". Capt. Halswell Milborne Kemeys-Tynte, of The Callow Mill, Monmouth, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The sod is loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover and roots. The area is 1,986 acres; rateable value, £982; the population in 1891 was 134.

Dinham, a hamlet 2 miles east and formerly a distinct parish, is one of the few places in Gwent mentioned by name in the Domesday survey. There was a castle here as early as 1128, some vestiges of which are to be found in a thick copse on a steep bank just above a picturesquely wooded dingle, through which one of the old roads leading to Wentwood formerly passed: little more than the foundations of some of the walls remain: the castle was probably erected by some of the family of Le Walleye or Walsh, by whom Dinham was held for many years. In the time of Queen Elizabeth Dinham was purchased by William Blethyn, Bishop of Llandaff (1575-91), whose descendants resided here in a mansion standing on the site now occupied by Great Dinham farm: the estate having subsequently passed through several hands came into the possession of the Bayly family and now belongs to Mrs. Bayly, who owns the entire parish with the exception of the glebe and smal1 portions belonging to Edward Joseph Lowe esq. D.L., F.R.S., J.P. of Shire Newton Hall and Thomas Woodall esq. of Great Dinham.

Caruth, a famous British bard, resided at Dinham, and refers to it in one of his songs as the burial-place of Caradoc, the great British chieftain, better known as Caractacus, who for nine years kept the Roman legions in check, but was finally defeated at Caer-Caradoc, and sent a prisoner to Rome: he is said to have been permitted to return to his native land, and, according to tradition, his remains rest near to where the Dinham Castle afterwards stood. There was formerly a church at Dinham, some traces of which may be seen at the gable end of one of the farm buildings belonging to Great Dinham farm: the font is used as a pump-trough in the farm yard and the lid of a stone coffin, locally known as "The Bishop's Stone", is built into the garden wall: the church has been long abandoned and the parish is now united for ecclesiastical purposes with that of Llanvair-Discoed. At Whitewalls Brake, between Dinham and Caerwent, a tesselated pavement has been found. The area of Dinham is 671 acres; rateable value, £333; the population in 1891 was 32.

Parish Clerk, Theophilus Morgan

Letters through Chepstow arrive at l0 a.m. Shirenewton is the nearest money order office, & telegraph office at Sudbrook

Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.15 p.m

The children attend Caerwent National school

COMMERCIAL.
Baker George, farmer & people's churchwarden, Lower house
Burroughs Charles, farmer, Dinham farm. (Letters should be addressed Dinham, Chepstow)
Davies Benjamin, cowkeeper
Gale Ellen (Mrs.), farmer, Hill farm
Harris Ann (Mrs.), farmer
James Joseph, farmer
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Pandy
Morgan Charles, farmer & farrier
Norris Francis, King's Arms P.H
Pritchard Christiana, (Mrs.), farmer, Court house
Smallman William, blacksmith
Stephens Thomas, farmer, Usk road
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/LlanvairDiscoed/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library