St Brides Wentlooge / Llansanffraid Gwynllwg

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2011

ST. BRIDE WENTLOOG is a parish on the Wentloog Level on the Bristol Channel, 2½ miles north-east from Marshfield station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway and 4¼ south from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. A high sea wall has been erected on the coast, to prevent the tide overflowing the district. The church of St. Bride Wentloog is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an unusually fine Perpendicular enabettled western tower containing 6 bells, four of which are dated 1734 and bear inscriptions: on the south wall of the church, within the porch, is the following insoription: carved in freestone:- "The Great Flvd, 20 Janvarie, 10 in the morning, 1606:" the lowest part of this inscription, which marks the height to which the waters arrived, is about 5 feet from the ground: a second inundation in 1708 covered the Level from Magor to Cardiff: the church has 150 sittings.

The register dates from the year [blank]. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Coedkernew annexed, tithe rent-charge £208, average £158, joint gross yearly value £250, net £240, with 47 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1871 by the Rev. Watkin Davies, who resides at Coedkernew. Here are Congregational and Baptist chapels. The Usk Lighthouse is built on the shore of the Bristol Channel south of this parish. The principal landowners are Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Mary Phillips and Halswell Milborne Kemeys-Tynte esq. of Cefn Mably, Cardiff. The soil is clayey; subsoil, the same. The land is chiefly meadow. The area is 1,832 acres of land and 1,690 of water; rateable value, £5,211; the population in 1891 Was 241.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Jenkins.

Post Office.- Mrs. Annie Williams, sub-postmistress. Letters through Castleton, via Cardiff, arrive at 10.15 a.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Castleton is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.30 p.m

A School Board of 5 members was formed 16 July, 1877; Edward Baker, St. Brides, clerk to the board & attendance officer

Board School (mixed), erected 1850; capacity, 70; average attendance, 35; William Griffith Stephens, master; Miss Mary Harding, mistress; the Board school is near the church

Baker Daniel, farmer, Mardy
Baker James, farmer & assistant overseer, Cherry orchard
Baker Jas. jun. farmer, New house
Baker Thomas, farmer, White cross
Baker Watkin, farmer, Red house
Buckler Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Davies William L. lighthouse keeper
French Mary (Mrs ), farmer, Haws fm
Green Thomas, farmer, Green lanes
Harding John, farmer, Pontestyll
Harding Richard, Church House inn, & farmer
Harris Thomas Morgan, farmer, Tyny-Pwll
Harris Mary Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Walnut Tree house
Lewis Oliver, farmer, New dairy
Phillips John, farmer, Sutton farm
Phillips Mary (Mrs.), farmer & landowner, Green moor
Rees Wm. Phillip, farmer, Great ho
Turberville Edward Jones, farmer, Fair orchard
Turbervilie Thomas, farmer, Long ho
Williams Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Church farm
Williams Thos. farmer, Grey Ho. frm
[Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales, 1895]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library