Stokesay

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STOKESAY, a parish in the hundred of MUNSLOW, county of SALOP, 7 miles (N.W.) from Ludlow, containing 564 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £4. 13. 4., and in the patronage of William Smith, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. A small endowment in land, the gift of Roger Powell, in 1716, is applied in support of the poor, and for teaching children: there is also a bequest of £5 per annum, by Mary Pierce, in 1761, for purchasing hooks.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/SAL/Stokesay/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library