Wroxeter

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WROXETER, a parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of BRADFORD (South), county of SALOP, 5 miles (S.E. by E.) from Shrewsbury, containing 659 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £11. 8., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Cleveland. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The old Watling-street passes through the parish, in which coal is obtained. It is bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn, and at low water the foundations of an ancient bridge are discernible. Here are the remains of an old Roman wall, twenty feet high, and two hundred feet in length, built partly of hewn stone and of British bricks, the remains of the celebrated city of Unconium, so called by Antoninus, but by Ptolemy Firocbnium, the circumference of which was about three miles. Within the area, among various other relics, such as graves, human bones, and other sepulchral memorials, numerous Roman coins have been found, which the tenants are bound by their leases to render to the lord of the manor, and are termed "Dynders", a corruption probably of Denarius; but they are so corroded, that their, effigies and inscriptions are either very obscure, or entirely obliterated.

EYTON-upon-SEVERN, a chapelry in the parish of WROXETER, Wellington division of the hundred of BRADFORD (South), county of SALOP, 6 miles (N.W. by N.) from Much Wenlock. The population is returned with the parish. The chapel is dedicated to All Saints.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/SAL/Wroxeter/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library