Abbots Bromley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BROMLEY (ABBOT'S), a parish (formerly a market town) in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 12½ miles (E.) from Stafford, arid 130 (N.W. by N.) from London, comprising the liberty of Bagot's-Bromley, and the township of Bromley-Hurst, and containing 1533 inhabitants. This place Is situated near the river Blythe, by which it is bounded on the south-west, and derives its distinguishing name from a Benedictine monastery founded at Blythebury, in this neighbourhood, in the latter part of the reign of Henry I., or in the beginning of that of Stephen, by Hugh Malveysin, and dedicated to St. Giles, which was suppressed at the instance of Cardinal Wolsey.

The trade is principally in malt, which is carried on to some extent: the making of shoes, for the manufacturers at Stafford, formerly furnished a livelihood to many of the inhabitants, but it has of late declined. The market has been discontinued for many years: the market-house is an ancient building covered, with shingles. The fairs are on March 11th, May 22nd, and September 4th, chiefly for cattle. Courts leet and baron for the manor are held once a year: at the former two constables and a head-borough are chosen.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £5. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Anglesey. The church; dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure, partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, with a Norman entrance: it has recently undergone considerable repairs, and has been much modernized. There is a place of worship for Independents.

The free school was founded, in 1606, by Mr. Richard Clarke, who bequeathed £300 to purchase land for its endowment: the annual income of the school estate is £137. 11. 9., of which the master receives a salary of £20, together with a rent-free residence and about three quarters of an acre of garden-ground, for which eleven boys are taught English gratuitously, instruction in the classics having been discontinued. An hospital was founded, in 1702, by Lambard Bagot, Esq., who beqeathed £800 for its erection and endowment, for six aged men, three of this parish, and one from each of the parishes of Yoxhall, Hanbury, and Tatenhill: the endowment was augmented by Charles Bagot, Esq., and a matron has been added to the establishment, who, with each of the inmates, receives a stipend of £10 per annum.

BROMLEY (BAGOT'S), a liberty in the parish of ABBOT'S-BROMLEY, southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 1 mile (S.W.) from Abbot's Bromley, with which the population is returned. This place derives its distinguishing name from the noble family of Bagot, to which it has belonged singe the time of the Conquest, and was anciently their residence, which is now situated at Blithefield, about two miles distant. Sir William Bagot, Bart., was advanced to the peerage, on the 17th of October, 1780, by the title of Baron Bagot, of Bagot's Bromley. There is a, chalybeate spring in the park, but it is not much resorted to.

BROMLEY-HURST, a township in the parish of ABBOT'S-BROMLEY, southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD,3 miles (S.E. by S.) from Abbot's Bromley, with which the population is returned.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/AbbotsBromley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library