Adbaston

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ABDASTON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, comprising the townships of Abdaston, Bishop's Offlow, Flashbrook, and Tunstall, and containing 596 inhabitants, of which number, 157 are in the township of Abdaston, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Eccleshall. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean of Lichfield, endowed with £400 and £15 per annum private benefaction, and £1400 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. In 1724, John Wright bequeathed a small portion of land for the support and education of the poor; and, in 1764, Richard Whitworth gave a house and land for similar purposes.

FLASHBROOK, a township in the parish of ABDASTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing, with Batchacre, formerly deemed extra-parochial, 127 inhabitants.

OFFLOW (BISHOP'S), a township in the parish of ABDASTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (W.) from Eccleshall, containing 210 inhabitants. Eight poor children are taught for £4 a year, the bequest of John Wright, in 1724.

TUNSTALL, a chapelry in the parish of ABDASTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL., county of STAFFORD, containing 102 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Adbaston/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library