Alrewas

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ALREWAS, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.E. by N.) from Lichfield, containing, with the hamlets of Fradley and Orgreave, 1492 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebendary of Alrewas and Weeford in the Cathedral Church of Lichfield, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Chancellor in that Cathedral. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is bounded by the Trent on the north, and by the Tame on the east; and the Grand Trunk and Coventry canals pass through it, the former to its junction with the Trent. At this placed Courts leet and baron for the manor are held twice a year: the custom of Borough English prevails here. A National school has been established.

ALREWAS-HAYES, a liberty (extra-parochial), in the northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Lichfield, containing 74 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Alrewas/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library