Alsagers Bank

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

ALSAGERS BANK is a village in this district [Audley], about 2 miles south-by-east from Audley and 3 north-west from Newcastle. The church here, a structure of wood, was erected in 1875 by Captain J.H. Edwards-Heathcote D.L., J.P. and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, west porch, vestry, and a turret containing one bell: the reredos is of oak and includes a carved representation of the Lord's Supper: there are 230 sittings. The register of births and marriages date from 1875. The Rev. Robert Simpson, of Durham University, has been curate in charge since 1885. There are also Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels: and in the township are several coal mines. Apedale Hall, a handsome modern mansion in the Tudor style, situated on an eminence commanding extensive and beautiful views, is the property of the Midland Coal, Coke and Iron Co. Limited, and is the residence of William E. Benton esq. Craddock Moss is 2 miles south-west from Audley. Knowle End is a township, 2½ miles south-west from Audley. On the summit of a steep rock in this township are the remains of Heyley or Heleigh Castle, built by the Lords of Audley. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel here.

SHRALEY is a hamlet of Knowle End, and has a Wesleyan chapel.

Park End is a small township, a mile west from Audley.

WOOD LANE is a mile south-east from Audley, and has Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. Parish Clerk, George Proctor.

POST & M.O.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Audley.- Thomas Dean, sub-postmaster. Letters received through the Newcastle-under-Lyme office at 7.30 a.m. & 5.55 p.m.; dispatched at 9.15 a.m. & 7.45 p.m. Bignall End is the nearest telegraph office

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Bignall End.- Jabez Brindley, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive via Newcastle 7 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. & are dispatched thereto at 9.25 a.m. & 7.55 p.m

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Halmer End.- William Riley, sub-postmaster. Letters through Newcastle-under-Lyme arrive at 7.45 a.m. & 5.45 p.m.; dispatched 8.55 a.m. & 7.55 p.m

POST OFFICE, Wood Lane.- Mrs. Elizabeth Statham, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Bignall End at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched 7.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Bignall End is the nearest money order & telegraph office

WALL LETTER BOXES.- Halmer End, cleared at 8.40 a.m. & 7.30 p.m. on week days; Alsagers Bank 9.10 a.m. & 8.5 p.m.; Miles Green cleared at 7 p.m.; Wereton cleared at 6.30 p.m

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Church street.
Meeting day, on Wednesdays fortnightly at 6 p.m. alternately here & Talke.
Clerk, John J. Nelson, Kidsgrove
Treasurer, Charles H. Watson, Tunstall
Medical Officer of Health, John James Dean, Vernon M.B., B.S.
Surveyor, Christopher Warburton
Sanitary Inspector, William Higginson, Miles green
Collector, John Burgess

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Audley District, Newcastle Union & Certifying Factory Surgeon, John James Dean Vernon M.B., B.S
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for the Audley Sub-District, George Proctor
Assistant Overseer, William Arthur Hamilton

SCHOOLS:-
Audley Grammar school was founded in 1612 by Edward Vernon, vicar of Audley, & endowed by him with £120, subsequently augmented by several other benefactions: disputes having, however, arisen as to the affairs of the charity, it was thrown into Chancery, where it remained from 1835 to 1852, when a scheme was framed by which the charity was placed under the control of nineteen trustees, & in 1876 the school was reopened as a Second Grade school under the provisions of the Endowed Schools Act: exhibitions are annually offered for competition among boys attending the school in the shape of total or partial exemption from the payment of fees: prizes are also awarded after the annual examinations: the present yearly income of the charity is about £250: new school buildings were opened in 1876 at a cost of between £3,000 & £4,000. The parish land at Eardley End, consisting of about 23 acres, now producing £50 a year, is applied to the support of the Grammar school: Rev. Vincent Litchfield M.A. master

National (boys), built in 1855, for 130 boys; average attendance, 143; Alfred Norman, master

National (girls), built in 1836 & rebuilt in 1890, for 230 girls; average attendance, 127 girls & 94 infants; Miss Annie Proctor, mistress; Miss Annie McEllin, infants' mistress

Wesleyan (mixed & infants), built in 1878, for 325 children; average attendance, 162; infants, 101; William Frederick Fishburn, master; Miss Mary Penrose, infants' mistress

Alsagers Bank (mixed), built in 1839, for 237 children; average attendance, 233; David Wm. Barrett, master; Miss Georgina White, mistress

Halmer End (mixed), built in 1849 & enlarged in 1875, for 300 children; average attendance, 245; Henry Hewitt, master; Mrs. John Emberton, mistress

Wood lane (mixed), built in 1858, for 172 children; average attendance, 150; Miss Augusta Smith, mistress; Miss E. Sparshott, infants' mistress

RAILWAY STATIONS:-
Audley, Holland Steventon, station master
Halmer End, Thomas Johnson, station master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/AlsagersBank/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library