Armitage with Handsacre

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ARMITAGE, a parish, joint with Handsacre, in the southern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 2¼ miles (E.S.E.) from Rugeley, containing, with Handsacre, 793 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Handsacre and Armitage in the Cathedral Church of Lichfield, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. John. There is a place of worship for Calvinists. Some earthenware is manufactured in the parish.

HANDSACRE, a parish, joint with Armitage, in the southern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (E.S.E.) from Rudgeley, containing, with Armitage, 793 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Handsacre in the Cathedral Church of Lichfield.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Armitage/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library