St John the Baptist's Church, Ashley (3)

Recent Photograph of St John the Baptist's Church (3) (Ashley)

Late medieval west tower is built into the church which is largely now the work of J. Ashdown, 1860-62. Recent "chapter house like" hall extension and new entrance on the north side of the church, rather good. St John's is not large, the interior confused by the blocking of the east tower arch by the organ case, and the subdivision of the four-bayed nave into nave and chancel by the rood screen. The chancel arch and sanctuary are therefore well east of the screen.

This view is from the south.

(Information provided by Phil Draper)


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 27th October 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Ashley/StJohn3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library