Aston by Stone

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

ASTON (GREAT AND LITTLE) with Burston and Stoke (near Stone), form a township in the parish of Stone. Aston is a pretty hamlet on the river Trent, and near the road from Stone to Stafford, and together with Burston and Stoke was formed into an ecclesiastical parish (called Aston and Burston) in 1846 from the civil parish of Stone; it is 2 miles south from Stone station on the North Staffordshire railway, 5 north from Stafford and 145 from London, in the Western division of the county, South Pirehill hundred, Stone union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Trentham, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent, and diocese of Lichfield. Burston and Stoke are given under separate headings.

The church of St. Saviour, built in 1845, is an edifice of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and tower on the north-west with spire and containing a clock and one bell: there are sittings for about 200 persons, 100 being free: on the east side of the churchyard is a mausoleum belonging to the Parker-Jervis family. The register dates from the year 1843.

The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £230, net £208, in the gift of the Hon. Edward Swynfen Parker-Jervis J.P. and held since 1881 by the Rev. George Bolney Brown M.A. of Clara College, Cambridge. St. Michael's Catholic church, erected in 1884, in place of an earlier structure, built in 1846, is of stone with a north-east porch, and has sittings for 50 persons; the clergy of St. Dominic's, Stone, officiate here. The Hon. Edward Swynfen Parker-Jervis J.P. of Little Aston Hall, Sutton Coldfield, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is partly gravel and sand, and partly marl; subsoil, clay and gravel, The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and turnips. The area is 3,117 acres; the population in 1891 was 540. Parish Clerk, Joseph Plant.

POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Frances Imelda Leese, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Stone & are delivered at about 7.30 a.m.; box closes for dispatch at 9 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Stone

National School (mixed), built in 1869, for 120 children; average attendance, 70; Joseph Plant, master; Miss Gertrude Florence Shelley, infants' mistress
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/AstonStone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library