Barlaston

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BARLASTON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Stone, containing 462 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £750 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Marquis of Stafford. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a modern building of brick, with an ancient stone tower. The village is situated upon an eminence, commanding extensive, varied, and beautiful views. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish. There is a school for twenty-eight poor children, to which Thomas Mills, in 1800, bequeathed £12 per annum.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Barlaston/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library