Biddulph Moor

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

BIDDULPH MOOR, consisting of a plateau of pasture lands about 4 miles by 2, having Biddulph valley on the west and Churnet valley on the east, is a separate ecclesiastical parish, formed 5 Feb. 1864, from the parishes of Biddulph and Horton. Christ Church, opened in the summer of 1863, is a building of stone, in the Norman style, erected at a cost of £1,700, and partially endowed at the expense of James Bateman esq. D.L., J.P., M.A., F.R.S.; it consists of chancel and nave and a turret containing one bell, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1863.

The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £56, net yearly value £223, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of Robert Heath esq. J.P. and held since 1884 by the Rev. Daniel Higham Sparling B.A. of University College, Durham. The population in 1891 was 1,196. The Mission church, Childerplay, erected in 1880 at the expense of Robert Heath esq. J.P. is an edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1856, and one for Primitive Methodists, erected in 1854. The poor have £4. 10s. as the interest of £100 left in 1812 by William Carter. The Alsager Charity, amounting to £15 yearly, is for five lone women; there are also five almshouses, built by the inhabitants of Biddulph in 1860, in memory of the late John Bateman esq. D.L. of Knypersley Hall, who died in 1859.

At KNYPERSLEY is an unconsecrated church, with school-house, built at a cost of £10,000, by the late John Bateman esq. of Knypersley Hall: it is an edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, and a tower on the north-west containing one bell: a new organ was erected in 1895, at a cost of upwards of £450.

Bradley Green is a village 1 mile south of Biddulph church, and has Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery, Annuity & Insurance Office, Bradley Green.- John Thomas Oakes, postmaster. Letters arrive from Congleton at 7.30 a.m. & 5 p.m.; dispatched, 10.20 a.m. & 5.55 p.m. Money orders granted & paid from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m

WALL LETTER BOXES:-
Poolfold, cleared at 6.15 p.m. week days only
Knypersley, cleared at 5.45 p.m. week days only
Church, cleared at 6.10 p.m. week days only
Gillow Heath, cleared at 6 p.m. week days only

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Bradley Green.
Board day, last thursday in each month, at 3 p.m.
Members all retire in April, 1896, on the division of the district into three wards.
Chairman, Robert Heath J.P
Vice-Chairman, John Cottrell
William Bailey
William Henry Bassett
John Brough
Taylor Gibbins
Charles Gibson
Luke Pointon
Thomas William Twvford
Clerk, Francis Caulfield Wade, Kidsgrove
Treasurer, Thomas Marston, Congleton
Medical Officer of Health, J.M. Fox M.R.C.S.Eng. Lymm, Cheshire
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Isaac Worthington, Crabtree farm, Bradley Green
Collector, Jabez Booth, High street, Bradley Green

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE PORTION OF LEEK PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION, sitting at Bradley Green.
Heath Robert esq. Biddulph Grange, chairman
Lees James Arthur esq. Hurst house, Biddulph
Shaw Anthony esq. Buglawton, Congleton
Twyford Thomas William esq. Moor house, Biddulph
Clerk to the Magistrates, Thos. Shaw, 10 Derby st. Leek
Petty Sessions are held at the Odd Fellows' hall, Bradley Green, the second monday in every month at 11 a.m

SCHOOLS:-
Natianal (mixed), Biddulph, built in 1874, for 200 boys & girls; average attendance, 94 boys & girls; Foulds Rycroft Wilkinson, master
National, Biddulph Moor, for 212 boys & girls & 79 infants; average attendance, 119 boys & girls & 58 infants; Herbert Reeve, master; Miss Dale, mistress
National, Knypersley, built in 1850, for 218 boys & girls & 115 infants; average attendance, 93 boys & girls & 60 infants; Thomas Law, master; Miss Annie Eliza Rigby, mistress
Primitive Methodist, Bradley Green, built in 1854, for 140 boys & girls & 125 infants; average attendance, 144 boys & girls & 101 infants; William Lowe, master; Miss Malkin, infants' mistress
Wesleyan, Bradley Green, built in 1861, for 130 boys & girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 105 boys & girls & 43 infants; Jabez Jenkinson, master; Miss Whitehurst, infants' mistress

RAILWAY STATIONS:-
Black Bull, Charles Crutchley, station master
Gillow Heath, Albert Snellgrove, station master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/BiddulphMoor/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library