Blithfield

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BLITHFIELD, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (N.) from Rugeley, containing, with the liberty of Newton, 470 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £10. 19. 2., and in the patronage of Lord Bagot. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The river Blith runs through the parish. Elizabeth Bagot and Jane Jones, in 1729, gave land, now producing about £35 per annum, which, with voluntary contributions, is applied to the support of a school for the instruction of boys, and another for girls, in which about forty of each sex are educated on the National system.

NEWTON, a liberty in the parish of BLITHFIELD, southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Abbot's Bromley, containing 263 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Blithfield/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library