Bucknall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BUCKNALL, a parish, joint with Bagnall, in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 1 mile (E.) from Hanley. The population is returned with Stoke upon Trent. The living is a rectory not in charge, with the perpetual curacy of Bagnall annexed, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £100 and £5 per annum, private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Edward Powys. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Bucknall was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Stoke upon Trent, but, with four other chapelries, was severed from it by an act passed in 1807, by which, including the chapelry of Bagnall, this was constituted a distinct rectory. William Shallcross, in 1719, gave a rent-charge of £5 for the instruction of twelve children.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Bucknall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library