Butterton by Newcastle

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BUTTERTON (near Newcastle) is a small township and parish, formed in 1845 from the civil parishes of Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent and Swynnerton, and including the hamlets or townships of Acton, Seabridge and Milston Green, in the North Western division of the county, North Pirehill petty sessional divison, Stoke union, Stoke-upon-Trent county court district, rural deanery of Trentham, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. Butterton is 2½ miles west-by-north from Trentham station on the Stoke and Stone section of the North Staffordshire railway and 3 south from Newcastle-under-Lyme. The church of St. Thomas, erected in 1845, is a cruciform building of stone in the Transitional style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and a central tower containing one bell: the cost, amounting to £3,000, was defrayed by the late Lady Pilkington, then lady of the manor: there are 200 sittings.

The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £430, with residence, in the gift of Sir L.M.S. Pilkington bart. and held since 1875 by the Rev. William Whitridge Tyson M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. Butterton Hall, the property of the Pilkingtons but now (1895) unoccupied, is an elegant mansion of stone erected in 1849, and principally in the Tudor style. Sir Lionel Milborne Swinnerton Pilkington bart. D.L. of Chevet Hall, near Wakefield, Yorks, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil sandstone. The chief crops are grain and roots. The area is 3,000 acres; rateable value, £1,200; the population in 1891 was 246 in the civil and 417 in the ecclesiastical parish.

ACTION, a hamlet 1 mile south, is in the parish.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Goodall.

SEABRIDGE is a small township of scattered houses in the civil parish of Stoke-upon-Trent and 2½ miles south-west from Newcastle-under-Lyme. Sir L.M.S. Pilkington bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Letters through Newcastle-under-Lyme, by messenger, arrive at 7 a.m.; WALL LETTER Box cleared at 6.50 p.m.; no sunday collection. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Whitmore

National School (mixed), built in 1865, for 70 children; average attendance about 50; Miss Elizh. Banks, mistress

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/ButtertonNewcastle/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library