Calton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CALTON, a chapelry partly in the parish of BLORE, northern division, and partly in the parishes of CROXDEN, MAYFIELD, and WATERFALL, southern division, of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Ashbourn, containing 238 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wilmot. The chapel, a small edifice dedicated to St. Mary, has never been consecrated. The chapelry is divided into four quarters, each maintaining its own poor.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Calton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library