Cannock

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CANNOCK, a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, comprising the townships of Cannock, Cannock-Wood, Cheslyn-Hay, Hednesford with Leacroft, Huntington, and Great Wyrley, and containing 2780 inhabitants, of which number, 766 are in the township of Cannock, 4 miles (S.E. by E.) from Penkridge. The living, which is remarkable for having been the first preferment of the famous Dr. Sacheverell, is a perpetual, curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, endowed with £15 per annum and £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty; and £1300 parliamentary grant. The church is dedicated to St. Luke. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists.

The village is supplied with water by means of a conduit and leaden pipes from Leacroft, about a mile distant, constructed by Bishop Hough. There are manufactories for edged-tools at Church-bridge and Wedges Mill, which afford employment to about two hundred persons; the coal used is supplied from the immediate neighbourhood, as well as the iron-ore called Cannock-stone, or Cark, A court leet and a court baron are held annually, at which the constable and head-borough, and the respective constables of the several townships, are chosen by juries; and special courts are called, when., required, for the transfer of copyholds. Fairs are held on May 8th, August 24th, and October 6th, principally for cattle and sheep. A school, founded by John Wood, for the free, education of children was, in 1727 enfeoffed with land by Thomas Wood, the income of which is £8 per annum; and John Biddulph, Esq. gave a meadow and garden for the use of the schoolmaster; there are thirty scholars, but none are taught free at present.; In 1725, Mrs. M. Chapman bequeathed a small sum for the education of three or four children.

A National school has also been recently erected at the expense of Mrs. Waterhouse. This place in ancient times was a forest or chase belonging to the Mercian kings. Castle Ring, situated on the summit of Castle Hill, and supposed to have been a British encampment, is nearly a circular area of eight or ten acres, surrounded by a double trench occupying three or four acres more, exhibiting traces at its northern and southern entrances of various advanced works. Near it are the remains of a moat, enclosing an oblong square of about three acres, named the Old Nunnery, where a Cistercian abbey was founded in the reign of Stephen, which was shortly after removed to Stoneleigh in Warwickshire: a similar enclosure at a small distance is called the Moat Bank.

CANNOCK-WOOD, a township in the parish of CANNOCK, eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, containing 355 inhabitants.

CHESLYN-HAY, a township in the parish of CANNOCK, eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 7 miles (S.E. by S.) from Penkridge, containing 548 inhabitants.

HEDNESFORD, a township, joint with Leacroft, in the parish of CANNOCK, eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (S.W. by S.) from Rudgeley, containing 443 inhabitants. A great number of race horses is trained here.

HUNTINGTON, a township in the parish of CANNOCK, eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (E.) from Penkridge, containing 138 inhabitants.

LEACROFT, a township, joint with Hednesford, in the parish of CANNOCK, eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 6 miles (S.E. by E.) from Penkridge. The population is returned with Hednesford. Here is a considerable manufactory for edge tools; and coal is raised in this part of the parish.

WYRLEY (GREAT), a township in the parish of CANNOCK, eastern division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 6½ miles (N.N.W.) from Walsall, containing 531 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Cannock/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library