Cheadle

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHEADLE, a market-town and parish in the southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 14 miles (N.N.E.) from Stafford, and 147 (N.W. by N.) from London, containing 3862 inhabitants. This place is situated in a valley environed by hills, which, though formerly barren, have been recently planted with forest trees, and are gradually assuming the appearance of verdure and cultivation. The town, which is intersected by the roads from Newcastle to Ashbourn, and from Leek to Uttoxeter, consists of one principal and four smaller streets; the houses are indifferently built: the inhabitants are supplied with water from a rivulet called the Tean, and from springs: the environs, though on the confines of the moor lands, are not unpleasant, and abound with numerous seats; the summit of a hill, called Monkhouse, to the west of the town, is a favourite walk, commanding an extensive prospect of the surrounding country.

The principal branch of manufacture is that of tape, which is extensively carried on in the town; and adjoining it are large brass-wire works: the neighbourhood abounds with coal, and copper-ore has been discovered, though not in sufficient quantity to repay the expense of working the mine. The Caldon branch of the Trent and Mersey canal passes within four miles of the town, by Oakmoor, where some copper works have been established. The market is on Friday; a small square has been recently appropriated for the market-place: the fairs are on Holy Thursday and August 21st, for cattle. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £12. 9. 2., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge.

The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient structure, principally in the decorated style of English architecture; and, though much mutilated and disfigured by alterations and repairs, it still retains some features of its original character: it has a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, the New Connexion of Methodists, or Kilhamites, and Roman Catholics. A charity school was founded, in 1685, by Mr. Stubbs, who endowed it with a rent-charge of £20, for the instruction of six children of this parish and six of the parish of Kingsley; to this endowment the trustees of Mr. Andrew Newton added £30, the interest of which is paid to the master, who has also a house rent-free: there are twelve scholars on the foundation, all of the parish of Cheadle, who are instructed in reading, writing, and arithmetic. Mr. Fowler, in 1663, gave a rent-charge of £6; Mr. Charles Beech, in 1726, bequeathed land and money producing together £26 per annum; and Mrs. Francis Grosvenor, of Hale Hall, in 1727, gave a rent-charge of £10, all for distribution among the poor.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Cheadle/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library