Dresden

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

DRESDEN, formed into an ecclesiastical parish Jan. 1, 1867, from the civil parish of Trentham, is a suburb of Longton on the south, and is in the township of Blurton, rural deanery of Stoke-upon-Trent; it forms a ward of the municipal borough of Longton, under the Act, 1884. The ecclesiastical parish of Dresden contains Dresden proper and part of Florence ward. The church of the Resurrection, originally erected as a chapel of ease to Blurton, and consecrated in 1853, is a structure of brick in the Early English style, from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott B.A. consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, western porch and a central turret containing one bell; it wag enlarged in 1873 at a cost of £1,093, and in 1875 an organ chamber was built at a cost of £300: there are sittings for about 700 persons, all free. The register dates from the year 1853. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £227, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Blurton, and held since 1867 by the Rev. Samuel Salt. Here is a Methodist New Connexion chapel. The area is 29 acres; rateable value, £6,149; the population in 1891 was 6,707.

Sexton, William Finney.

FLORENCE is a suburb of Langton on the south, and forms part of the township of Blurton, in the civil parish of Trentham; it is within the parliamentary borough of Stoke-on-Trent and now forms a ward of the municipal borough of Longton under the Act of 1834. This place is mainly the property of the Duke of Sutherland, and the greater portion is now built upon; it is partly in the ecclesiastical parish of Dresden and partly that of Normacott. The mission church of St. Luke, in Cromartie street, in connection with the parish of Dresden, was built in 1884 at a cost of £900, and affords sittings for 360 persons. A Congregational chapel in Belgrave road and a Unitarian chapel in the Stone road. Here is a large colliery belonging to the Florence Colliery Co. Limited. Queen's Park, consisting of 45 acres of land given by the late Duke of Sutherland, was formed into a public park in 1887. The Aynsley memorial, erected by public subscription, was unveiled June 6th, 1892, and a band stand has also been erected. The area is 918 acres; rateable value, £17,683; the population in 1891 was 7,563.
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Dresden/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library