Ellastone with Ramshorn

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ELLASTONE, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4½ miles (W.S.W.) from Ashbourn, comprising the townships of Calwick, Prestwood, Ramshorn, Stanton, and Wootton, and containing 1328 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's, books at £4. 9. 2., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of D. Davenport, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was built in 1388, and contains memorials of the Fleetwoods, the ancient owners of a great part of the parish: it has lately received an addition of two hundred sittings, of which one hundred and fifty are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £160 towards defraying the expense.

The village, which is of considerable size, is situated on the river Dove, in a neighbourhood abounding with fine scenery, and enjoying a salubrious atmosphere. A National school-room was erected by subscription in 1812, which will accommodate two hundred children. The petty sessions for the division are held here. There are mines of copper and lead near Stanton, and in the fields and lanes are found many rare plants. On the top of Weaver hill are several barrows, from which have been dug some ancient coins; there are also vestiges of a Roman encampment. Gilbert Sheldon, Archbishop of Canterbury, was born in this parish; he died in 1677.

CALWICK, a township in the parish of ELLASTONE, southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (S.W. by W.) from Ashbourn, containing 120 inhabitants. A hermitage was anciently established here, which was given to the priory of Kenilworth before the year 1148, by Nicholas de Greselei Fitz-Nigell, and a small convent of Black canons placed therein. This house was given by Henry VIII. to the monastery of Merton in Surrey, in exchange for the manor of East Moulsey, as parcel of which it was again granted by that monarch to John Fleetwood.

PRESTWOOD, a township in the parish of ELLASTONE, southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 7 miles (N.) from Uttoxeter, containing 88 inhabitants. It is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40a.

RAMSHORN, a township in the parish of ELLASTONE, southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (E.N.E.) from Cheadle, containing 152 inhabitants.

WOOTTON, a township in the parish of ELLASTONE, southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Ashbourn, containing 245 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Ellastone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library