Fulford

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FULFORD, a chapelry in the parish of STONE, southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4¾ miles (N.E.) from Stone. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W. Allen, Esq. The chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has lately received an addition of one hundred and eight free sittings, the incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £150 towards defraying the expense. Quarries of excellent stone are wrought in the parish. A school-house was built pursuant to the will of George Hiatt, who in 1735 bequeathed £300 for the support of a master; the income is £12. 10. a year, and the average number of scholars fifteen. Eleven other children are taught by a schoolmistress for £3. 10., the bequests of Thomas Shalcross and Thomas Porter.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Fulford/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library