Hanbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

HANBURY, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, comprising the chapelries of Marchington and Newborough, the townships of Coton, Fauld, Hanbury, Hanbury-Woodend, Marchington-Woodlands, and the hamlet of Stubby-Lane, and containing 2516 inhabitants, of which number, 147 are in the township of Hanbury, 6¾ miles (N.W. by W.) from Burton upon Trent. The living is a vicarage, not in charge, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in-the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry.

The church, dedicated to St. James, is principally in the later style of English architecture, with a Norman font, and has lately received an addition of one hundred and forty-three free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £261 towards defraying the expense. A school-house was built by subscription in 1815, in which from sixty to seventy children are taught; it is endowed with about £24 per annum, arising from bequests by Jane Browne and - Hawkins, Esq.

COTON, a township in the parish of HANBURY, northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 6¾ miles (S.E. by E.) from Uttoxeter, containing 42 inhabitants. William Wollaston, author of a learned work entitled "The Religion of Nature Delineated", was born here, in 1650; he died in 1724.

FAULD, a township in the parish of HANBURY, northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 7¼ miles (S.E. by E.) from Uttoxeter, containing 48 inhabitants.

HANBURY-WOODEND, a township in the parish of HANBURY, northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, containing 256 inhabitants.

STUBBY-LANE, a hamlet in the parish of HANBURY, northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (S.E.) from Uttoxeter, containing 177 inhabitants. It is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Hanbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library