Hollington

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

HOLLINGTON is a long straggling village and parochial chapelry, 3 miles south from Alton station on the Churnet Valley section of the North Staffordshire railway, 5 north-west from Uttoxeter and 4 south-east from Cheadle, in the Leek division of the Madeley Holism division of the parish of Checkley, Cheadle union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Uttoxeter, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. John, erected in 1861, is a building of native stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: the east window and some smaller windows are stained, and there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1861.

The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Checkley, average tithe-rent charge £455, joint net yearly value £630, including 146 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Philips M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford, who is also vicar of Croxden. The Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1874 and the Primitive Methodist chapel in 1823. This village is celebrated for its quarries of excellent freestone, of which many churches in the county have been built; the stone is obtained in blocks of a large size; a bed of red stone of excellent character was also discovered in 1877. The land is held by about 20 freeholders. The soil is loam; subsoil, sand and rock. The land is used for pasturage and dairy produce. The population is returned with Checkley. Verger, Thomas Morley, Lodge dale.

POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Sarah Ellen Hodkinson, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Stafford via Uttoxeter at 8.40 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. from Mar. to Nov. & 3.45 p.m. Nov. to Mar. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Alton is the nearest money order & telegraph office

National School (mixed), built, with residence for mistress attached, in 1869, for 100 children; average attendance, 93; Miss Janet Jones, mistress.

Police Station, William Foden, constable in charge

CARRIERS TO:-
CHEADLE - William Noakes, on fri. at noon
UTTOXETER - William Noakes, on wed
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Hollington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library