Kingsley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

KINGSLEY, a parish comprising the township of Whiston in the northern, but chiefly in the southern, division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Cheadle, and containing 1320 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £16. 15., and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, dedicated to St.Werburgh, has lately received an addition of two hundred and six sittings, of which, one hundred and ninety-two are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £100 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Churnet and the Uttoxeter canal run parallel to each other through the parish. Here are several coal mines, and a furnace for smelting copper-ore. A free school was founded, in 1703, by John Stubbs, who endowed it with houses and land now producing about £60 per annum, for which one hundred and twenty children are instructed on the National system. Kingsley is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Kingsley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library