Lapley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LAPLEY, a parish in the western division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Penkridge, containing, with the township of Wheaton-Aston, 916 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £5. 12. 3. John Swinfen, Esq. was patron in 1800. The church is dedicated to All Saints. In 1669, Joan Scutt gave £10 per annum for the instruction of poor children. Here was anciently a priory of Black monks, subordinate to the abbey of St. Remigius at Rheims.

WHEATON-ASTON, a chapelry in the parish of LAPLEY, western division of the hundred of CUTTLESTONE, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Penkridge, containing 718 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Lapley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library