Leigh (Church Leigh & Dods Leigh)

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LEIGH, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Uttoxeter, containing, with the township of Field, 1019 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £14. 0. 5., and in the patronage of Lord Bagot. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient cruciform structure. Stephen Spencer, in 1620, gave land now producing an annual income of £66, for the maintenance of a schoolmaster, who instructs about fifty-five free children.

FIELD, a township in the parish of LEIGH, southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (W.) from Uttoxeter, containing 72 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Leigh/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library