Madeley

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MADELEY, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Newcastle under Line, containing 1166 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £4. 16., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lord Crewe. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure. This parish abounds with mines of coal. The village is situated on the borders of Cheshire and Shropshire, and consists chiefly of cottages and farm-houses in the Elizabethan style.

Here are two free schools, one for boys, the other for girls, endowed, in 1645, with a rent-charge of £60, by Sir John Offley, who founded in the same year, almshouses for ten poor persons, each of whom receives one shilling and ninepence per week. Samuel Stretch, noted for his penurious habits, bequeathed, in 1804, a great bell, to be tolled every night at eight o'clock, as a guide to passengers, he himself having accidentally fallen into a ditch, which ultimately caused his death. Madeley is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Madeley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library