Maer

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MAER, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, comprising the township of Maer, and the hamlet of Maerway-Lane, and containing 451 inhabitants, of which number 232 are in the township of Maer, 7 miles (N.N.W.) from Eccleshall. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the patronage of J. Wedgwood, Esq. The river Tern has its source in a small lake here, which covers about twenty-two acres.

MAERWAY-LANE, a hamlet in the parish of MAER, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 219 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Maer/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library