Meerbrook

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MEERBROOK, a chapelry in that part of the parish of LEEK which is in the northern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N.) from Leek, with which the population is returned. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Leek. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice with a square tower. Twenty-eight children are educated for £12. 5. per annum, the proceeds of a bequest by John Stoddard, in 1673, and of another by Roger Morris. In the neighbourhood are the Leek rocks, stupendous overhanging masses, two miles in length, with scattered fragments at their bases and in other parts of the valley.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Meerbrook/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library