Milton

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

MILTON, an ecclesiastical parish from 15th Oct. 1865, is a civil parish, formed in 1895, out of Norton-in-the-Moors and Burslem, and has a station on the Leek branch of the North Staffordshire railway, 3 miles north-east from Burslem and 7½ south-west from Leek, in the North Western division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of North Pirehill, Leek and Wolstanton unions, Burslem county court district, rural deanery of Leek, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of SS. Philip and James, opened October, 1865, is of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and a turret containing one bell: a new organ was erected in 1894 at a cost of £205: the church affords 300 sittings. The registers date from the year 1865.

The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £190,with residence, in the gift of Lord Norton K.C.M.G. and held since 1881 by the Rev. George Molyneux. There are Wesleyan, Congregational, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels. The Hardman Institute, erected in 1895 by Josiah Hardman esq. at a cost, inclusive of site, of £3,000, comprises lecture, reading, smoke and billiard rooms, and a library, and attached is a residence for the caretaker. Here are extensive aluminium, chemical, manure and other works, giving employment to large numbers of hands. The area is 1,000 acres; rateable value, £6,970; the population in 1891 was 2,282.

Parish Clerk and Sexton, Edwin Bowyer.

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Milton. (Sub Office. Letters should have S.O. Staffs added).- William Clowes, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive by mail cart on week days & sundays at 3.30 a.m. & 3.15 p.m. on week days only by train; dispatched at 11.30 a.m.week days only & 8.55 p.m. week days & sundays

WALL LETTER BOX, Milton Mill, cleared at 3.30 p.m. week days only

Board School, Milton (boys), under the Burslem School

Board; Thomas Lowe, master

Girls' School, under the Norton-in-the-Moor School Board; Miss Jones, head mistress

Infants' School, under the Norton School Board; Miss Sherriffs, mistress

RAILWAY STATION.- Edward Pegge, station master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Milton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library