Mucklestone

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MUCKLESTON, otherwise MUXON, a parish comprising the townships of Bearston, Dorrington, Gravenhanger, and Woore, in the Drayton division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, and the townships of Aston, Kneighton, Muckleston, Oakley, and Winnington, in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, and containing 1753 inhabitants, of which number, 179 are in the township of Muckleston, 4 miles (N.E.) from Drayton in Hales. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £20. 3. 9., and in the patronage of Lord Crewe. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Several small sums have been bequeathed by different individuals for the education of children.

ASTON, a township in that part of the parish of MUCKLESTON which is in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 8 miles (W.S.W.) from Newcastle under Lyne, containing 277 inhabitants.

KNEIGHTON, a township in that part of the parish of MUCKLESTON which is in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.E. by N.) from Drayton in Hales, containing 148 inhabitants.

OAKLEY, a township in that part of the parish of MUCKLESTON which is in the northern, division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N.E. by N.) from Drayton in Hales, containing 94 inhabitants.

WINNINGTON, a township in that part of the parish of MUCKLESTON which is in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4½ miles (N.E.) from Drayton in Hales, containing 226 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Mucklestone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library