Normacot

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

NORMACOTT is a liberty in Stone parish, partly within the parliamentary borough of Stoke-upon-Trent and the greater part now included within the municipal borough of Longton, forming part of the Florence ward, and adjoining Longton on the south-east, with a station on the Stoke, Derby and Uttoxeter branch of the North Staffordshire railway, and an ecclesiastical parish, formed November 5, 1852, from the parishes of Stone and Trentham; in the Western division of the county, petty sessional division of Stone, hundred of North Pirehill, Stone union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Stoke-upon-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of the Holy Evangelists, built in 1847 at the sole cost of a former Duke of Sutherland, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a central turret containing one bell; a north aisle and vestry were added in 1891 at a cost of £1,100, defrayed by the late Duke of Sutherland K.G.: a memorial window was erected in 1895, to the late vicar: there are 565 sittings, 465 of which are free. The register dates from the year 1847.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £165, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Sutherland, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Edwin Charles Hipkins M.A. of Durham University. There is a Church Mission hall in Uttoxeter road, Primitive Methodist chapel in Alexandra road and Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Chaplin road. In this neighbourhood rise several streams of pure water, from which the neighbouring towns of the Potteries are partly supplied: the water works are the property of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Works Co. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are the usual cereals. Rateable value, £7,514; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1891 was 5,437.

Parish Clerk, John Dawson.
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Normacot/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library