Oakamoor

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

OAKAMOOR is an ecclesiastical parish, formed Dec. 2nd, 1864, from the civil parishes of Cheadle, Kingsley and Alton, in a deep valley of the river Churnet, with a station on the North Staffordshire railway, 3 miles east-by-north from Cheadle and 146 from London, in the Leek division of the county, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Cheadle, hundred of Totmonslow North, rural deanery of Cheadle, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The village is lighted by the electric light from the works of Messrs. Bolton & Sons. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected about 1833, is a building of stone, consisting of nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with four crocketed pinnacles containing one bell: the church was restored in 1877 at a cost of £520, and affords 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1833 and for marriages from 1864.

The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £262, net £153, with residence, built in 1880, and 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of the rector of Cheadle, and held since 1875 by the Rev. William Cass Greene. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1859. The Oakamoor Mills chapel, erected at the cost of Alfred Sohier Bolton esq. of Moor Court, in 1878, from designs by Mr. Edward F.C. Clarke, architect, of London, is a small edifice in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave and a small turret containing one bell, and has several stained windows. Messrs. Thomas Bolton & Sons have extensive brass and copper works here, for electrical purposes. Moor Court is the residence of Alfred Sohier Bolton esq. J.P. The population in 1891 was 755.

Parish Clerk, George Edge.

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Oakamoor.- Mrs. Eliza Tipper, sub-postmistress. Letters through Stoke-on-Trent. Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.25 p.m.; sunday 11.30 a.m

The Oakamoor Boys' Orphanage, erected in 1890, has been transferred to Colwyn Bay, North Wales, and is now the residence of the school master

British School (mixed), built in 1891, at the sole cost of Messrs. T. Bolton & Sons, by whom it is mainly supported, for 250 children; average attendance, 134; the old school, erected in 1875, is now used as an infants' school; George F. Duncan, master

Railway Station, James G. Williams, station master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Oakamoor/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library