Oulton

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

OULTON is a township and small village in the Kibblestone quarter of Stone parish, and with the township of Moddershall was formed into a parish in 1879 from the civil parish of Stone. Oulton village is upon the side of a rather steep hill, on the Old road from Stone to Longton, 1¼ miles north from Stone station on the Stafford and Stoke section of the North Staffordshire railway, in the Western division of the county, Stone petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Trentham, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1874, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, vestry, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: the stained east and west windows were presented by the late G. Meakin esq. to whom a mural tablet has been erected by his children, and there are several memorials windows: the lectern was presented by R.P. Copeland esq.: the north aisle was erected in 1894-5, at a cost of about £900, and the church now affords sittings for 240 persons. The register dates from the year 1875.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £175, in the gift of Simeon's trustees, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Hugh Horsley M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. St. Mary's Abbey, a modern foundation of the Benedictine order, is an extensive building of brick, with a beautiful chapel, built in 1854, from designs by Edward Welby Pugin esq. and consisting of chancel and nave; it has an elaborately carved reredos and altar, and there are five stained windows: young ladies are received for education at a school in connection with the abbey: Miss Elizabeth Beech is the lady abbess. Oulton House, now in the occupation of James Watson Bishop esq. is situated on an eminence commanding extensive and picturesque views. The Kibblestone property, formerly belonging to the late Edward Barlow esq. has been purchased by Richard Pirie Copeland esq. J.P. Robert Heath esq. of Biddulph Grange and George Frank Paddock esq. The Hayes, on the Longton road, is the property and residence of John Tams esq. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, sandstone. The land is chiefly pasture, but some grain is grown. The area is 1,233 acres; the population in 1891 was 886.

STONEFIELD, in this township, is a suburb of Stone, under which town it will be found. CULLAMORE is a hamlet 1 mile north.

Parish Clerk, John Benbow.

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity Office.- William Malpass, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stone, by messenger, arrive at 7 a.m. Stone is the nearest telegraph office

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6.45 p.m.; sunday 12 noon

National School (mixed), erected in 1863 on a site presented by B.C. Taylor esq. late of the Hayes, & enlarged in 1890 for 150 children; average attendance, 55; Miss Helen Teat, mistress
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Oulton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library