Rangemore

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

RANGEMORE is an ecclesiastical parish formed Dec. 30, 1884, from portions of the parishes of Scropton, Tatenhill, Dunstall, and ecclesiastical parish of Anslow; it is about 5 miles west from Burton-on-Trent station, in the Burton division of the county, hundred of North Offlow, Burton-on-Trent union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Tutbury, archdeaconry of Stafford and diocese of Lichfield. The church of All Saints, erected in 1866, by the late Michael Thomas Bass esq. is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire containing 5 bells: stained glass was placed in all the windows in 1883: in 1886, a new south aisle, with choir vestries and sacristy, was built, and a new organ introduced at a total cost of about £4,000, defrayed by Lord Burton, as a memorial to the founder, to whom also memorial windows have been erected by his widow and children and the parishioners: a new chancel is now (1895) in course of erection at the expense of Lord Burton: there are 240 sittings, 80 being free.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with 3 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Lord Burton, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Alfred Lowe M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford. Rangemore Hall, the seat of Lord Burton D.L., J.P. in the forest of Needwood, is a mansion in the Italian style, standing in a picturesque and well-wooded park, surrounded by tastefully laid-out pleasure grounds. The club and reading room was opened in 1887, at a cost, including furniture, of £2,800, defrayed by Lord Burton. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1891 was 426.

Sexton, John Stokes.

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Rowland Latham, sub-postmaster.

Letters through Burton-on-Trent arrive 7.5 a.m.; dispatched at 7.15 p.m

Church School, erected with master's residence, in 1873, by the late M.T. Bass esq. for 130 children; average attendance, 72; John Henry Beevers, master
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Rangemore/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library