Talke (Talke o'th Hill)

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TALK-o'-th'-HILL, a chapelry in the parish of AUDLEY, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 5 miles (N.N.W.) from Newcastle under Line, containing 1008 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Audley. The chapel is a small brick building, surmounted by a cupola. The great north road formerly passed through the village, which is situated upon an eminence commanding a view into nine counties, with the mountains of North Wales in the distance. In the centre is a stone cross, where a market was formerly held. A free school was erected by subscription in 1760, in which fourteen children are instructed for £15 a year. Adjacent to the village is a spring, the water of which is of a blue milky colour, strongly impregnated with sulphur, and much in request for cutaneous diseases.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Talke/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library