Tittensor

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

TITTENSOR is a township and village in the Beech quarter of Stone parish, and, with part of the township of Darlaston, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish, May 9, 1882; it is on the road from Stone to Newcastle, 1¼ miles west from Barlaston station on the Stafford and Stoke section of the North Staffordshire railway and 3½ north-north-west from Stone, in the Western division of the county, South Pirehill hundred, petty sessional division of Stone, Stone union and county court district, rural deanery of Trentham, archdeaconry of Stoke-on-Trent and diocese of Lichfield. The church of St. Luke, formerly a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Stone, is a building of stone and brick, in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel and nave, and a north-east tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells: there are sittings for 220 persons: there is a memorial window in the chancel to the late James Meakin esq. J.P. of Darlaston Hall, Stone: the carved oak pulpit was given by the sisters of the Rev. William Beech Masefield, late vicar, and the brass lectern by Mrs. Meakin, of Darlaston Hall, in memory of her husband: the church was restored in 1881 at a cost of £2,200. The register dates from the year 1882.

The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £146, in the gift of Simeon's trustees and held since 1884 by the Rev. Daniel Walter Jenkinson M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The ruins of an ancient manor house stand in a field south-west of the church. Tittensor Chase, in the occupation of Lord Henry George Grosvenor, is the property of the Duke of Sutherland, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,527 acres; the population in 1891 was 488.

Parish Clerk, Robert Wright.

POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE.- Robert Wright, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Stoke arrive at 6.15 a.m.; delivery commences at 7 a.m. week days & 8 a.m. sundays; dispatched at 8.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Barlaston is the nearest money order office

National School (mixed), erected in 1861 by the Duke of Sutherland & chiefly supported by him; it will hold 100 children; average attendance 71; Miss Mary Hannah Richmond, mistress

Constabulary, Joseph Barber, constable
[Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire, 1896]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Tittensor/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library