Tixall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TIXALL, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Stafford, containing 198 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £8. 0. 8., and in the patronage of Sir Clifford Constable, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There is a Roman Catholic chapel in the parish. Immense quantities of freestone are quarried in the neighbourhood of Tixall Hall, which fine old mansion was built of that found upon the spot. Much of it has been used also in the construction of the bridges and locks of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal, which passes through the parish, and of the Trent and Mersey canal in the vicinity, the stone being peculiarly adapted for resisting the action of water.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Tixall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library