Tunstall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TUNSTALL-COURT, a market-town and liberty in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Newcastle under Lyne, containing 2622 inhabitants. The name is of Saxon derivation, being compounded of ton, or tun, and stall, signifying a town on, or near, a rising ground, appropriately describing the site of the town, which stands on elevated ground an the extensive district of the potteries. Considerable manufactures of porcelain, earthenware, blue bricks and tiles, and some chemical works, afford employment to about one thousand two hundred persons; and there are veins of coal, fine clay, limestone, iron-ore, and other mineral strata, in which the vicinity abounds. The Grand Trunk canal passes near the town, where it has its summit level; the great double funnel, running two miles under Hare Castle hill, is in the vicinity.

A market on Saturday was established in 1818; and the principal inhabitants, under the sanction of the lord, of the manor, built, by means of shares, a neat court and market-house. The town is governed by a constable, chosen at the manorial court leet: it is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s. His Majesty's Commissioners for building new churches have proposed to make a grant for the erection of a chapel, the right of presentation to belong to the Perpetual Curate of Wolstanton. There are three places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Seceders from that community. James Brindley, the celebrated engineer, died at Turnhurst, in this neighbourhood, where his descendants possess considerable property.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Tunstall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library