Waterfall

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WATERFALL, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 7 miles (E.S.E.) from Leek, containing, with part of the chapelry of Calton, 534 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Mrs. Jane Wilmott. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Hamps almost surrounds the parish; it enters the ground at the Waterhouses, and pursues a subterraneous course of about three miles to Ham, where it emerges and joins the river Manifold. Limestone (a considerable quantity of which is burned), grit-stone, and lead-ore, are found in the neighbourhood; and at the adjoining hamlet of Winkshill are two paper-mills, a flax-mill, and an iron forge and foundry. Eight poor children are instructed, in a school-house built by subscription, for £6. 10. a year, arising from four acres and a half of land.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Waterfall/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library