Weston upon Trent

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WESTON-upon-TRENT, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (N.E.) from Stafford, containing, with the liberty of Yarlett, 475 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of - Inge, Esq. The church is an ancient structure, with a large tower and spire. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish. Extensive saltworks have been established at the village: the brine is raised in the parish of Ingestre, by means of machinery worked by the waters of the Trent, and is conveyed across that river and under the canal, through pipes, to certain reservoirs, whence it runs into iron pans, is heated, and becomes chrystallized for use. The daily consumption of brine is estimated at one thousand four hundred hogsheads, from which about fourteen thousand tons of salt are annually extracted, including most of the basket, or kiln-dried, salt sold in London.

YARLETT, a liberty in the parish of WESTON-upon-TRENT, southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 33 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/WestonuponTrent/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library