Wetton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WETTON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of TOTMONSLOW, county of STAFFORD, 7 miles (N.W. by N.) from Ashbourn, containing 609 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, endowed with. £800 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W. Burgoyne, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is ancient and much decayed: over the doorway is a piece of rude sculpture. The river Manifold runs through the parish, as far as Wetton-mill, then suddenly disappears through the fissures of its limestone bed, and, continuing a subterraneous course for about five miles, emerges within a few yards of the place where the river Hamps re-appears in like manner from its channel underground. At Ecton hill are extensive lead and copper mines, affording employment to a number of men, women, and children. Within this parish is a remarkable cavern of large dimensions, termed Thor's House, in which the Druids, it is believed, sacrificed to their god Thor. Twelve poor children are instructed for an annuity of £5, the bequest of William Risbridger, in 1754. Wetton is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Wetton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library