Wolstanton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WOLSTANTON, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD; comprising the chapelry of Thursfield, the townships of Chatterley, Chell, Chesterton, Knutton, Oldcott, Rainscliff, Stadmerslow, Wedgwood, and Wolstanton, the hamlet of Brerehurst, and the liberty of Tunstall Court, and containing 8572 inhabitants, of which number, 958 are in the township of Wolstanton, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Newcastle under Line. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £32. 3. 9., and in the patronage of Walter Sneyd, Esq. The church is dedicated, to St. Nicholas.

There is also a chapel, called New chapel, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the same patronage. The Grand Trunk and Sir N. Gresley's canals pass through the parish, and the former is here conducted under a tunnel one mile and a half in length. Six poor children are educated for £2 a year, bequeathed by John Turner, in 1696. Wolstanton is in the honour of Tutbury, duchy of Lancaster, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas held at Tutbury every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under 40s.

BREREHURST, a hamlet in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 714 inhabitants.

CHATTERLEY, a township in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N.) from Newcastle under Line, containing 204 inhabitants.

CHELL, a township in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Hanley, containing 400 inhabitants.

OLDCOTT, a township in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 615 inhabitants.

RAINSCLIFF, a township in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 679 inhabitants.

STADMERSLOW, a township in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 264 inhabitants.

WEDGWOOD, a township in the parish of WOLSTANTON, northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, containing 68 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Wolstanton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library