All Cannings with Etchilhampton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

ALLCANNINGS, a parish in the hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 5 miles (E.) from Devizes, containing, with the tythings of Allington and Fullaway, 749 inhabitants The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Lea annexed, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £31. 16. l0., and in the patronage of Paul Methuen, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. Here is a free school, endowed with £25 per annum.

ALLINGTON, a tything in the parish of ALLCANNINGS, hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Devizes, containing 132 inhabitants.

ETCHILHAMPTON, a chapelry in the parish of ALLCANNINGS, hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 3 miles (E.S.E.) from Devizes, containing 252 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew.

FULLAWAY, a tything in the parish of ALLCANNINGS, hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Devizes, containing 14 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/AllCannings/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library