St John's Church, Bemerton

Recent Photograph of St John's Church (Bemerton)

Bemerton in is connected with George Herbert, a poet of the early 17th century, who was vicar here before his death in 1633 at the age of 40.

The original church is dedicated to St Andrew. This much larger new church of St John, designed by Wyatt, has a promising exterior especially seen from the A36 main road to the north. Nave, north aisle, south porch and aisle to the east of it, chancel and north-east tower. The church was largely paid for by the Pembrokes at Wilton House, as a Victorian memorial to Herbert.

(Information provided by Phil Draper)


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 4th April 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Bemerton/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library