Kington St Michael

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

KINGTON (ST-MICHAEL), a parish in the northern division of the hundred of DAMERHAM, county of WILTS, comprising the tythings of Easton-Percey, Kington, St. Michael, and Langley, and containing 969 inhabitants, of which number, 436 are in the tything of Kington, St. Michael, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Chippenham. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £8. 9. 4., and in the patronage of the Hon. W.T.L.P. Wellesley. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. An annual fair for horses and cattle is held on October 6th. In this parish are considerable remains of three religious houses, the principal of which, a Benedictine nunnery, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded before the time of Henry II., as a cell to the abbey of Glastonbury, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £38. 3. 10.; the remains have been converted into a farm-house. A free school is endowed with an annuity of £5, given by Mrs. S. Bowerman in 1730. Isaac Lyte, Esq., an alderman of London, who died in 1659, erected six almshouses, which he endowed with £20 per annum.

EASTON-PERCEY, a tything in the parish of KINGTON-ST-MICHAEL, northern division of the hundred of DAMERHAM, county of WILTS, containing 29 inhabitants. John Aubrey, a distinguished antiquary, was born here in 1629.

LANGLEY, a tything in the parish of KINGTON ST-MICHAEL, northern division of the hundred of DAMERHAM, county of WILTS, 2 miles (N.) from Chippenham, containing 504 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/KingtonStMichael/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library