Ogbourne (St Andrew & St George)

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

OGBOURN (ST-ANDREW), a parish in the hundred of SELKLEY, county of WILTS, 2 miles (N.) from Marlborough, containing 415 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with Temple Rockley, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean, and Canons of Windsor, rated in the king's books at £15. 2. 11. At Rockley the knights of St. John of Jerusalem had formerly a preceptory: there was also a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Leonard, but it has been long demolished. In the neighbourhood are several mineral springs. The remains of Barberry Castle, a large British encampment, may still be traced; they are partly in this parish, but chiefly in that of Wroughton.

OGBOURN (ST-GEORGE), a parish in the hundred of SELKLEY, county of WILTS, 3 miles (N.) from Marlborough, containing 493 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £14. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. A priory of Benedictine monks, subordinate to the abbey of Bec-Herlowyn in Normandy, was founded here about 1149, and became the richest and principal cell to that house in England. In 556, a most sanguinary battle between the Britons and the West Saxons was fought here, which lasted a whole day, and ended in the total rout of the Britons, and the capture of their neighbouring fortress, Barberry Castle, in the vicinity of which numerous barrows are still visible.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Ogbourne/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library