Pewsey

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

PEWSEY, a parish in the hundred of KINWARDSTONE, county of WILTS, 6 miles (S.W.) from Great Bedwin, containing 1337 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £26. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Earl of Radnor. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has lately received an addition of one hundred and five sittings, of which ninety are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £25 towards defraying the expense. The petty sessions for the division are held here.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Pewsey/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library