Wroughton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WROUGHTON, a parish in a detached portion of the hundred of ELSTUB-and-EVERLEY, county of WILTS, 3 miles (S.W. by S.) from Swindon, containing 1381 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of the Rector: the rectory (an impropriation) is rated at £31. 4. 4., and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. Helen. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Thomas Benit, in 1743, gave land, now producing more than £20 a-year, for the endowment of a school.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Wroughton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library